Monday, September 8, 2008

Stupid Government!



WARNING - VENTING AHEAD!!

Ok, so let me start at the beginning. Back on May 31st, as I was in labor and filling out forms between contractions, I checked a little box marked yes right next to this question: Would you like to apply for a social security number for your child. Easy, right? WRONG! Ok, so the paperwork they send you home with says it could take 13-14 weeks to receive your card in the mail, but everyone knows that's BS and it usually takes about a month. So about 6 weeks later I had to go back to the hospital for several reasons and decided to stop by birth records to see why we hadn't gotten Keira's card. The woman gives me the whole 13-14 weeks thing but then sees Keira, who is clearly over 1 month old. After confirming her age, she decides to call her contact at the state to see what is going on. The woman there tells her that "hmm, that's weird. Normally we make a notation when we send out the information to SSA but there isn't any note here. I guess we didn't do it." Nice! So the birth records lady tells me that I have to get Keira's birth certificate and go apply on my own. Yippee! So I go home and order her birth certificate and $50 and 1 week later, it comes in the mail. So I go online and print out the forms and gather up all my ID and her birth certificate and off we go to the SS office. So we get there, get a number and wait. And of course, they call the number after us first and then say that our number didn't show in the system. Hunh! So they take us in and look at the application and check my ID and then ask for Keira's ID. I gave them her birth certificate and the woman says "no, this is her birth certificate. where's her identification?" What?! I explained the whole deal to her and she says ok, but she still needs ID. I was like...she's 8 weeks old for heaven's sake. She didn't think it was very funny when I asked her if she'd like to see her driver's license. I mean, isn't her SSN going to be her ID. Now I need ID to get her ID? So I ended up having to get a letter from her doctor with her name and birth date and the fact that she is a current patient, blah, blah, blah. So then, I go back again. I have everything I need, but this time they say that because Keira is under 1 year old, they have to verify her birth with the state. Ok, so then why did I need to pay $50 for a rush certified copy of her birth certificate with the raised seal and all??? Anyway, they give me a letter stating that I've filed the application and a reference number. It should take about 2 weeks, but could take up to 4. So 4 weeks comes and goes. Now I start calling but can't get through. And when I finally do, I spend 25 minutes on hold before giving up. I try again today....same deal, except now I've been on hold for 82 minutes! I tried the regular 1-800 number...the federal one...and they can't help me because she doesn't have a SSN!!!!! Oh my god! I'm gonna flip. I asked the guy if I could file a complaint that the field office isn't answering their phones and he says yes...all you have to do is either drive or write to the field office and file the complaint there. It's a good thing they put a big sign on the door saying that you aren't allowed to bring firearms into the building or else I just might. Darn rules. So look out Mr. Arthur Weathersby, Field Office Manager. I'm a comin'...and it ain't gonna be pretty!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Oh my! My fingers are crossed that it goes smoothly from here on out!